Unexpected Challenges

Some would think that the most challenging aspect of photography would either be planning/capture or the processing of images. The most challenging part for me lately has been the naming.

Others prefer not to name their images and they are valid reasons not to do so. I’d learned early on that naming is what works for me. This process is quite personal as each names have personal meanings. They often indicate what I am feeling or seeing at a specific time and place in my life.

On the other hand, I do not always share the title as it may dominate or subvert the image – thus limiting the viewer’s capacity for personal interpretation and participation. Also presenting an image without the constraint of a title could open up the image to wider interpretations.

I personally would like to believe that a title provides another layer of meaning and Information that may not be obvious and hopefully open up a discussion about the piece.

Naming my work had always been easy to me as each name usually came to me during my edits and sometimes during the preparation of the capture. I haven’t had any luck. All I currently have is a file full of images with file numbers taunting me and raising my anxiety levels.

Titles are important to as it is another to express how I view the world which may not be obvious through the images themselves further emphasising my vision.

How do you feel about naming your images? In the meantime, here’s one of those images. Any title suggestions welcome.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!!!

© Pamela Aminou

7 Comments Add yours

1. solaner says:

I really admire your work, Pamela, and I would like to learn from you. I‘d like to learn how you edit your images. It would be great to see a before and after along with a few hints about the editing steps. I know, each image is different as well as the existing lights and darks in an image. But I‘m quite sure, describing the steps in a more or less general way should be possible.

1. pammyv02 says:

Thank you very much. I have been asked numerous times about teaching how I edit but I unsure as to how to best deliver that in a helpful way. Which way do you think would best work for you?

1. solaner says:

I guess, starting with the original image. I guess, you’re using Photoshop. If so, I assume, you’re incorporating numerous layers for certain tasks. So, each layer could be named. In the end, you have the final image. I assume, incremental steps are not needed to have a separate screen shot.
        Last year, I published such a walk-through with one of my images. But the intention was different. May aim was to describe, why one should photograph in raw and what steps are needed to come to the final image by using a raw-processor.

2. pammyv02 says:

I haven’t edited anything new in a while but I will put something together soon. I read the article you sent and take some hint from it

2. MJ says:

for that image, title that springs to mind is “into the void”

1. pammyv02 says: