I am one of those people that logs their SL everywhere I go. However, I noticed it has put a serious strain on my handbags. I mean tear on the lining and a very noticeable tear on the outside too. So I started to think.
Are DSLRs too heavy for everyday?
For me, I must admit that my Nikon D7000 is too heavy to carry everyday. I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of Compact cameras as I still think of them as in the old days. One setting, one saturation, no control over your work etc….. Those days have changed.
With modern technology, we now have some amazing compact on the market that can easily rival DSLRs.
Can certain compact cameras rival DSLRs?
I am the first person to say that equipments does not equal great photography. Think about certain moments you wish you could a camera any camera with you. The idea is to have a compact camera that allows to you to take Raw images.
1 – Sony Cybershot D-RX100
. See review a brief review here.
2 – Nikon Coolpix P7700
Often compared to the Canon G12 due to their similar features. Highly recommended by DP and its key features are:
- 12.2MP BSI-CMOS sensor
- Raw mode
- F2-4 zoom lens with VR
- ISO 80 – 1600
- 3in 921k-dot rotating LCD screen
- Full HD, 1080p mobie recording with stereo sound
- 330 shot battery life
3 – Sony NEX compact
Not intended to be professionals second camera but it has the potential to be. Available in NEX-5 and NEX-3. Completely identical internal features but the NEX-5 has a slightly smaller magnesium alloy body, Infrared remove receiver and 1080i ACVCHD for recording movies. The major feature on both models are the Interchangeable lenses. More info on theses cameras here.
The E-Mount lenses available are:
- Wide fixed focal length CZ
- Telephoto zoom
- High performance standard zoom G
- Wide zoom
4 – Fujifilm X100
Very biased on this choice as I am in love with this compact camera (especially for me). Previously reviewed here
. Named the professional compact camera, this compact has a lot to offer everyone.
- Hybrid viewfinder
- APS-C size 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor
- An EXR processor to achieve the highest image quality
- File format includes JPEG, RAW and RAW+JPEG
- Aperture: F2 – F16 1/3EV step
- Sensitivity: ISO 200 – 6400 ISO Auto also available
- Continuous Shooting: 5/3 frames per second
- Exposure control: TTL 256-zones meetering, Multi/Spot/Average
- Exposure mode: P/S/A/M
- Shutter Speed: (P mode) 1/4 sec. to 1/4000*sec., (All other modes) 30 sec. to 1/4000*sec. Bulb (max. 60min.)
This particular compact does not have any other mode other than Manual. Takes all the gadgets and puts the creativity back into photography. This is why I love this camera.
- Image Sensor: Leica Max24 MP CMOS sensor
- Effective Pixels: 24 million pixels
- Sensitivity: ISO 200 – ISO 3200, Auto ISO also available
- LCD Monitor: 3″TFT Display with 920,000 pixels, scratch resistant cover glass
- Shutter speed: 1/4000s – 60s (in Bulb)
- File Format: RAW, JPEG
- Movie Resolution: 1080p, 720p
- Exposure Metering: TTL metering
Great weekend everybody xxx